At HUSSON we provide the upfront investigation to help you determine the functionality of your proposed development. Preparation of cost estimates, preliminary servicing memos, rough grading plans and site visits will help you determine if the property is right for your proposed development.
Please call us if you have a potential property you would like us to look at.
Stormwater Management & Water Resources
HUSSON has extensive design experience in the fields of stormwater quality and quantity control, water balance methods, floodline mapping and 'green' site design (green roof design, infiltration & water reuse technology). Our stormwater management design team incorporates diverse backgrounds to efficiently produce innovative design solutions for our clients. We have been involved in a wide range of projects from Public Schools, to Residential developments, to 'Big Box' Shopping Centres and Industrial Subdivisions up to 70 hectares in size. Our team is proficient with a wide range of modeling software, including Visual OTTHYMO, MIDUSS, EPA SWMM & HEC-RAS. The following is a brief summary of the services that our team can provide:
- Functional and Master Servicing design.
- Stormwater Management Pond design.
- On-Site detention systems (infiltration, water reuse, rooftop and parking lot controls).
- Erosion control design and analysis.
- Sub-watershed study hydrology and hydrologic modeling and project management.
- Water balance analysis.
- Floodplain Mapping.
- River Hydraulics.
- Site plan stormwater management design including compliance with City of Toronto Wet Weather Flow Management Guidelines.
- Lot drainage designs including reverse sloped driveways.
If you would like to find out more about our capabilities or would like to include us on your next project feel free to give us a call.
The objective of the Project Manager is to achieve all the project goals while working within the project constraints such as timelines and budgets. Project Management can mean different things to different people, everything from coordinating a sub-consultant to planning, retaining, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives.
Over the years we have employed many different styles of project management to suit the needs of our clients. In this role, we provide the following services:
- Identify the needs of the project given timelines and budgetary constraints.
- Solicit and retain consultants and/or contractors as required to meet the objectives of the project.
- Coordinate and organize project tasks.
- Implement a cost structure to monitor and control project costs.
- Project execution which leads into our Contract Administration and project close out.
As a discipline, Project Management developed from the fields of construction, engineering and civil defense. Call us to discuss how your next project can be managed by the expertise of an Engineer from HUSSON.
HUSSON offers detailed design services for wide range of infrastructure and land development projects. Examples include highway/road design, large-scale subdivision design and design of private commercial/industrial developments. Our extensive knowledge and experience allow us to provide you the best solution while ensuring your timelines and budgets are met. Specific design services our team can provide:
- Preparation of detailed engineering design drawings including sanitary, storm design, stormwater management design and modelling, water distribution design and modelling, detailed plan and profile drawings, erosion and sediment control plans and earthworks optimization.
- Liaison with Municipal Engineering staff to review requirements and project schedule.
- Coordination with local Utility Companies to ensure potential conflicts are identified prior to breaking ground.
- Coordination with the consultant team; Landscape Architects, Electrical Engineers, Geotechnical and Hydrologic.
- Submission of drawings and required documentation to review agencies and follow-up to approval as required.
- Preparation of agency application forms and submit for approval.
- Preparation of preliminary and detailed engineering cost estimates.
If you would like to discuss our services please feel free to give us a call.
Construction Administration (CA) is usually not viewed as an important part of potential new developments when they are first contemplated. In some cases, the CA portion of a project is never discussed until the design is well underway or even complete. In our eyes, the CA element of a project is just as important as the initial planning and design. Money can easily be lost if the job is not constructed properly.
At HUSSON, we take great care in all aspects of CA work. From the initial tender preparation to the final Letter of Credit release we provide all the aspects of contract execution. We provide the following services to ensure that our client's interests are well represented:
- Tender preparation
- Bid analysis and review
- Contract preparation and execution
- Contractor, Client, Town/City/Region coordination
- Total site servicing inspection
- As-built preparation
- Deficiency inspection
- Preliminary and final certification
- LC reduction
Once the project is set to "go to construction", our clients need to know that their interests are taken care of and that the end product is constructed as designed and under budget. We work with the client and the contractor to ensure this. At the end of the day the last thing we want our clients to remember is the timely and profitable completion of the job and at HUSSON we pride ourselves in delivering just that.
Cost Sharing - Developer Group Coordination
Over the past decade, cost sharing agreements have become synonymous with Developers Groups. More and more, municipalities are making participation in Developer Group cost sharing agreements a condition of Draft Plan Approval, requiring a Trustee's release prior to subdivision registration. Understanding these agreements and their impact on both the development timing and financial obligations is essential for developers.
Cost sharing agreements are agreements executed by two or more developers that share common services (stormwater ponds, sewers, roads, etc.) or community land (schools, parks, etc.). The agreements provide a fair and equitable distribution of the community costs associated with developing land. They establish the guiding principles around which services and land are shared and set out the timing and payment amounts required to ensure that those land owners providing more than their fair share of services and land which benefit a community are compensated by those land owners that benefit from them.
HUSSON is an industry leader in the creation and implementation of Developer Group cost sharing agreements. We have acted as Group Engineer for Developer Groups throughout the GTA. In this role, we provide the following services:
- Facilitate the creation of cost sharing principles with developer groups,
- Prepare cost sharing schedules for community services and land,
- Review construction contracts for progress certificates to establish the value of community services and land provided by each developer,
- Create an Engineer's Certificate detailing the works provided by each developer and directing the Trustee whether to make payment to or collect payment from the developer,
- Track, monitor and advise the Developers Group on municipal issues which may affect its timing and/or financial obligations,
- Negotiate Development Charge credits for the developers based on community services/land provided by the group.
In addition to our work as Group Engineers for several Developers Groups, we also provide expert advice to individual developer clients in agreements where we are not acting as Group Engineer. Our experience as Group Engineer in other groups gives us insight into how best to negotiate on behalf of our clients so that their financial interests are protected.
Please call us if you would like to discuss your particular cost sharing needs.